Our Mission and Goals
(Adopted on April 14, 2008)
The North American Same-Sex Partner Dance Association (NASSPDA) is a membership organization committed to the promotion and expansion of social and competitive same-sex partner dancing, which includes Ballroom, Latin, Swing, Country Western, and other partner dances, as well as different styles within those terms, such as International and American Style. NASSPDA acknowledges and celebrates its origins in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community.
- Establish and continue to improve consistent definitions, guidelines and standards for same-sex partner dance competitions in North America, with an initial emphasis on those dances featured at the Gay Games and Outgames.
- Support functions and venues for social same-sex partner dancing.
- Be a resource for same-sex partner dancers.
- Aim to raise the level of same-sex partner dancing.
- Coordinate and liaison with dance organizations and sponsors of dance competitions.
- Encourage the inclusion of dancers from diverse backgrounds with regard to race, ethnicity, gender, age, [dis]ability, gender identity and/or expression.
- Function with a high degree of operational accountability and transparency.
- Operate according to the rules and principles of a not-for-profit organization.